17 Mar 2014

Saree: East Meets West



Hey! 

Hope everyone's weekend was great and it has left them reinvigorated and looking forward to making the week ahead a highly productive one!

Being of Indian origin, I wanted declare my love for Sarees in this post. For those who do not know what a Saree is, it is a traditional attire mainly worn by women in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bengal and Bangladesh. Though there are various styles in which a Saree can be worn, the idea is to wrap the very long fabric skilfully around body. It is very similar to a Greek Toga. In fact, some historians believe the Saree originated from the Toga worn thousands of years ago! How amazing is that! 

Having spent 6 weeks in India last August (I spent time volunteering at a village school and sightseeing in a few cities and isolated beauty spots), I did manage to spend my final week shopping. I ended up buying a great number of Sarees which was an exhausting task, I must say. That did not stop me though,as I am Saree OBSESSED! 

I love how various celebrities and supermodels from the west have embraced this tradition by wearing the Saree with respect and don't they look striking!




Lady Gaga



Eva Mendes



Gisele Bundchen



Victoria Beckham



Paris Hilton



Nicole Scherzinger







Elizabeth Hurley




Anna Kournikova




Pamela Anderson

Next, I would love to see Nicole Kidman in one, as she is so tall and has strawberry blonde hair, it would look breathtaking on her. Nicole Richie, simply because she looks good in anything she wears! Lastly, I would love to see Kim Kardashian in a Saree, as she has a curvy figure and a cascade of long black hair flowing down would accentuate the exoticism of the attire. 


Check out Part 2 of this post, which is coming up....

Until my next post...

Sonal x




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips